Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Pork" Fried Rice



So this is something I whipped up last week because I was low on groceries but didn't want to have ramen noodles for dinner. For something I just threw together it actually turned out pretty great! I had intended to make fried rice over MLK weekend because my brother was in town. I meant to serve it with some broccoli "beef" but only remembered once the stir-fry was finished! I didn't end up taking pictures of the stir-fry because that weekend ended up being a little crazy (my brother ended up getting sick-- not from my cooking... I hope!). I'm sure I'll end up making something similar before long, though.

I started out by making some pork style seitan, which is rather similar to the beef style except I use dragonfly brand pork-flavor broth instead. You know the drill. I left out the Worcestershire sauce and added some bacon salt (that stuff is fantastic, and meat-free). I made it with a cup of wheat gluten, but it turned out a little rubbery because I forgot to add the all-purpose flour. Still good, though.

Instead of making two cutlets I made three-- one for cubing up for the rice and two for slicing and frying. The fried rice was from a simple recipe I grabbed off the internet, to which I added a diced carrot for variation. It turned out rather tasty for a first attempt.

I sliced up the two other cutlets and pan fried them with a bit of Soy Vay's Veri Veri Teriyaki, which I can't recommend more highly for stir-fry. I like to use it for broccoli and "chicken" (usually Quorn Tenders, but I think it would be good with just about anything). It's got a fantastic garlicy flavor that sets it apart from other bottled teriyaki, and I like to use it as a base for a peanut sauce I like to make (something else I'll have to put up here sometime).


The sliced seitan ended up very flavorful while the rice was rather mild, so it was a good balance. Definitely something I'll be making again in the future.

Now, obviously this isn't a vegan recipe because I used egg, but I imagine one could put in some kind of tofu-y eggy substitute in it. In fact, I'd imagine there are plenty of great vegan fried rice recipes out there if you want to go looking.

One last thing: I don't know if people always do it this way, but I added the green onions after cooking, and it was GREAT that way. They stay nice and crisp, which is fantastic.

Yummy
Coming up next: Either seitan pepperoni, or seitan fried chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment